It would be a good idea for me to put down some kind of status as to how my hearing is these days (as a baseline):
Without my hearing aids I can barely hear:
- My son singing at certain notes at the top of his voice (gives me echo-effect on that frequency until I hear new sounds)
- A tractor right outside my windows (5 meters away)
- Only the bass from music
- Well enough to understand spoken words with the aid of lipreading (better if my head is clear and rested)
- When really silent: a noisy refrigerator, traffic noise outside the building, an airplane or helicopter in the sky. I get a “white noise” sound from running water.
- My external hard-drive – the spinning disks vibrate into the wooden table.
- Other peoples voices in the room, but cannot understand without lipreading.
- Familiar voices on the mobile for short conversations and messages. I most often have to repeat and ask for confirmation. It’s border-line.
- Other peoples footsteps in same building, maybe a slamming door.
- Static noise from electrical FM-devices like my Phonak Smartlink
With hearing aids in a “quiet cafe” surrounding I can hear:
- Spoken word if not more than 1 meter away, but I have to concentrate really hard
- Other people speaking, but cannot make out what is said.
- Music, but only in the form of unrecognised sounds…
- All sounds are garbled and mixed in an impossible soup of noise
- I can extract a voice from 50 cm away if noise isn’t too bad, and I know the subject and the person (if I’m used to lipread whomever, it’s a better chance of understanding)
- Cars and trucks travelling at high speed close by me
- Dogs barking loud
When waching a movie with sound directly into my hearing aids I am dependant on captioning. Environmental sounds like running water (splashing), wind blowing, birds chirping etc are lost completely. Spoken words are not understood at all without captioning (dialogue is most often switching and camera angles changing too fast for lip-reading to be effective enough).
Music has lost it’s magic during the last few years. I can sense the rythm, and hear most of the bass and drums. Percussion is completely gone. Perception of vocals depends on type of music and what tone the voice has. Guitar has disappeared slowly last few years, now it’s not “swinging” at all anymore…
I wrote down this, because I want to use it to compare later when I get the CI (my personal baseline).